• Accueil
  • Accommodation
  • Legal Guardianship

Legal Guardianship

If you are a minor in Canada, i.e. under 18 in Ontario, you must have a legal guardian to get your study permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). For more information, visit the CIC webpage.

Steps to obtain notarized documents to prove you have a legal custodian

To become the legal guardian of a minor child, certain legal steps must be undertaken. These steps give the guardian the permission to act in the place of the parents in Canada. To become the legal guardian of a student, notarized declarations must be obtained, that is, documents certified by the seal and signature of a public notary which authenticates them.
pdfForms provided by the CIC.

  • The first statement must be signed by the parents or guardians of the child in the country of origin.
  • The second is signed by the custodian in Canada (a family member residing in Canada or a member of Homestay Canada Network staff).

In order for your application to be processed by CSC Providence and to allow it to issue an official acceptance letter, you must provide a copy of these two declarations.

It is important to know that in order to obtain a study permit in Canada, you must provide to the CIC authorities  the originals of signed and notarized custody agreements, as well as the official letter of acceptance of the admission of the board school.


Conseil scolaire catholique Providence